Full Metal Sanctity

Forums for the Full Metal Sanctity Netbattle server and Website

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

(Superjail!/Eversion) Letsplay Eversion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jackalope
City Slicker

Female Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-07-10

PostSubject: (Superjail!/Eversion) Letsplay Eversion   Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:28 pm

sounds - possibly musical - heard in the night from other worlds or realms of being.
- h. p. lovecraft

"The heck?"

The Warden backed away from the sign. Clearly it was an omen, a warning perhaps, but what was it doing in this bright sugar bowl of a world?

He turned around, brushing one of the petals on his head out of his face, to take stock of his surroundings. Super Mario Brothers was what came to mind, what with the lines of bricks in the air and the walking, happy yellow blobs traipsing about. He did not question why he was here, or why he had flower petals on his head; he knew what had to be done here, and that was good enough for him.

Floating about the world were gems, which required collecting. Some of the bricks had smiling faces; those were to be hit from below to make them cough up their gems. And the walking blobs, of course, needed to be stomped. At the end was a flagpole; once all else was done, that was for touching so he could be sent to the next area.

There was but one thing odd; a few of the gems were too high up to be gotten. They rested on the clouds, but the clouds were not solid. He spent the better half of his time there looking for a means to get to them.

Then he finally noticed, as he walked in between two flowers, that the sky color got a bit paler, and the bouncy music playing over the area mixed with something a bit calmer-sounding. When he stepped away, everything went back to normal.

He remembered the sign as he puzzled over this. On a whim, he dropped to the ground between the two flowers and reached as if trying to pull something through a hole. The music changed completely, alongside a palette swap.

"That's what we call eversion." Once more, he didn't question why he knew this; he just did, and that was good enough for him.

The swap was more than superficial: the flowers' stems became coiled. And the clouds were now solid platforms. With those elusive gems now in tow, he made for the flagpole.

The second area was more of the same, except that the land was divided by large gaps of bottomless pit sea. He did not fear falling; he knew he would just end up at the start again. And of course, just the fact that he knew this was good enough for him.

The puzzle here was a different matter: a row of blocks, two gem-bearing, blocked from being reached by below by two strong-standing evergreens. Neither the bouncy side nor the calm side of the world made them yield. Eventually he gave up and made for the flagpole; but on the way, he passed another spot where the sky got paler still and the music mingled. A spot that distinctly wasn't there in the happy side.

He yanked the world inside-out again. Now a reflective, nearly sad aquatic tune played, and all the plants had wilted. That meant the evergreens too.

The third area started out on the calm side. A block maze yards long stretched out in front of him. There was no way of getting to the top just yet, but the way out from under was barred by still-solid clouds.

There were several eversion spots here; he had to keep shifting from calm to bouncy to calm again and then reflective. Then there was one more side to the world; a sharp shift to the other end of the spectrum.

The sky was a deathly pale, as were the blocks. The plants were shriveled stalks. The clouds were gone except for the absence of color where they'd been. And the music? It put him on edge. It was threatening, as if something unforseen would pop out and get him at any moment.

Now the blobs were as one-eyed rocks: immobile. But some gems could only be reached by stepping upon their heads. He had to evert from threatening to reflective several times to get them to stop in the right spots.

When he went to leave, there was a crash. Behind him, a wall of corruption bubbled up, rotting everything in its wake. If it so much as touched him, his game was over.

The rocks watched as he struggled his way through the sparse last half of the maze, managing to get those few gems along the way. Just as the wall was about to catch up to him, he reached the flagpole. And he realized, as the wall melted away, that the sides he eversed between were the world in different stages of decay.

With a healthy wariness ingrained in him, he stepped into the next area, with that deceptively happy side at the forefront, with caution. Nothing seemed to be amiss apart from his being confined by a column of blocks with a rosebush for a base. Finding no eversion spots, he hit the smiling block in the row just above him.

Have you ever imagined the primordial ooze? Have you seen a world of yellow sky with seas of putrid brown, and one-eyed, mouthed blobs wriggling about? He found himself there under a brownish block, whose eyes now rested on either side of the row. This music put him on edge again, not because it was threatening; but because it stirred up some deep-rooted, perhaps instinctual worry.

He inched his way under the column. Those blocks which had faces bore no gems. He hopped up a row and made to jump over a pit.

And a bloody claw shot up and speared him.

--

"Sir! Sir! Are you okay?"

He blinked. No primordial ooze. No eyeless blocks. No hands of irrevocable doom. Just his bedroom and his dutiful staff.

"We thought you were getting hacked to bits by an axe murderer," Alice grumbled with - was that disappointment he heard in her voice? "That's how loud you were screaming."

"But it was just a dream," Jared added, his voice bearing an undercurrent of relief. "It must have been terrible, Sir! What was it?"

"Oh." Yes, a dream; but it was all too real. He'd lived it yesterday. "No, it's a silly thing. You'd laugh."

"That'd beat coming up here for no reason," Alice insisted.

"I really don't want to say. Let's just go back to bed."

Alice trudged off, but Jared stayed. "Are you sure you don't want to talk about it, Sir?"

"I'm sure. It's something that really shouldn't have bothered me. Go on."

--

The claws, the claws! Always the claws! Reaching, grabbing! Some unavoidable!

It just wasn't fair. He'd always get to where he could see the flagpole, and then there was a jumping puzzle, based on precision, where the hated hands waited to catch those who screwed up. And invariably he did; they were simply too jarring!

--

"The claws. They're going to get me."

He muttered this repeatedly without even noticing, and paid unnecessarily careful attention to wherever he stepped, always. "Watch for the claws. Never relax. That's when they get you."

"Claws, eh?"

He woke up at his desk to Jared's voice. And it was clear within seconds it was ridiculous of him to lose sleep over a silly little game. He was a grown man, and grown men know that blood-coated hands do not reach up from the depths of hell to impale the unsuspecting. Then he glanced over his shoulder.

"Sir, you wouldn't happen to have played a game called Eversion, would you?"

At that he blinked, the sleep dust in his eyes scratching rather painfully, and sort of muttered the quote on the sign robotically: "Sounds - possibly musical - heard in the night from other worlds or realms of being."

"I thought so. The claws gave me trouble too. But it's mostly reflexes, and maybe some luck-"

"You played that game? You? But it says it's not for those of a nervous disposition."

"It didn't bother me one bit, Sir. Oh, now that I talk about it, I think there was a trick-"

He threw himself across the desk so he could lift the little man by his shirt collar. "It didn't what? Why didn't you have nightmares? You have the most 'nervous disposition' I've ever seen."

Jared shrugged suspended in midair. "I was ready for anything, Sir."

The very notion offended him to the core. He was bothered by something Jared was not. In theory, the universe didn't work that way; but evidently not in practice. He wanted nothing more than to fling the little man across the room, but, having not had a good sleep in days, was too tired even to tell him off. "Oh, get out of here."

"But Sir, I know how you get past those things easi-"

He nudged Jared as if pushing away a child. "Go on. I need to contemplate this hiccup of reality."

He put his head down, blinked, and woke up perhaps four hours later. Then he reached under his desk for that little laptop he'd stolen from Jared's office some time before. It was a pristine thing, kept in marvelous condition by first a fastidious accountant, and then a warden who almost never used it. It had the game Eversion on it.

sounds - possibly musical - heard in the night from other worlds or realms of being.
- h. p. lovecraft

Code:
 |\
 | \  <-- fin
 |  \
######

Last edited by Jackalope on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed the name.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thornbush.monarch-pass.net/

(Superjail!/Eversion) Letsplay Eversion
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Full Metal Sanctity :: Art Center :: Library-
Jump to: